Pages

22 Oct 2022

Cancelled Holidays & back in the sewing room.

 We cancelled our holiday plans earlier this week due to all the flooding thats happening at the moment. Our first week away was to be spent at Echuca on the Murray River as we had not visited that area before. Right now its in record flood and clearly it's not the place for tourists. Theres also been flooding in Tasmania and with more rain predicted for the next 6-8 weeks we decided it was better to cancel and we'll wait until next year to do another trip.

My back is much better so I've been able to get back to my sewing the last few days. I completed another Summer in the Country block - Geese Pond 

I started working on another block and then just like that, I felt like I need a break from it, I still like it but I'm tired of working on it. So I changed the block to finish it up quickly...

... then I joined up a heap of triangle scraps to make another block quickly


... played around on the design wall for a while ...


         ... and then packed it all away for later.

My sewing room is quite a mess!  I really need to do some serious stash busting and get some projects quilted and finished.  I keep 5" blocks in these two drawers, mostly kids prints, & they are stuffed completely full so I decided to make some more children's blocks as they are fun and easy.


I use a disappearing nine patch pattern, put a picture block in the corners and bright colours around it and then cut.



... and these blocks will end up in eye-spy quilts. 



On the decluttering front I've done all but one cupboard in the kitchen and got rid of a lot of excess stuff. It's good to open the cupboard now and not feel its all going to fall out.  Next big job is cleaning out the pantry/storeroom.

Right now it's raining heavily again so  its back to sewing machine for the afternoon. Apparently it's going to rain most of the summer - our third El Nino summer downunder. How is the weather where you are is it different to the usual season? 

Linking up with:

 Quilting Patchwork Applique

Oh Scrap 

Small Quilts & Dolls Quilts

8 comments:

Vireya said...

It's a shame you had to cancel the holiday. The Summer in the Country blocks look great.

SAM said...

You are really making the most of you're retirement, Jan. The quilts are just beautiful. Sad about the flooding for people who live in the area. Hopefully they'll recover and you can reschedule.

Mandy said...

So sorry you had to cancel the holiday travel, but your quilt squares sure are beautiful!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of cute blocks in your sewing room! I love the fun color in the Summer in the Country blocks. And that tiny star in the center of the second block from the top - just wonderful!

Sue Daurio said...

those I spy blocks are wonderful and sure to keep the little ones occupied looking for sweet treats in the quilt. It's always fun to see which one is their favorite, there's one right! We have fall weather right now, the colors are glorious, but the wind that last few days has been something. We're hoping for some much needed rain today.

Sara said...

The disappearing 9 patch done like that is a wonderful way to use those kid prints. Awesome idea!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love all your blocks, but my favorites are the 9-patch blocks, fun and cute!
Here in France the weather is too warm for the season. Sorry for your travel, and I hope the rain will stop soon.
Thank you for sharing these pretty blocks, and linking up!

AnnieO said...

Do hope the rain lets up and the sun shines again. All your Summer Country blocks look terrific together. The DP9 blocks are always a fun time--love all the bright prints.