Pages

3 Nov 2022

Floods, snow, decluttering & new Tilda fabric.

 What an interesting week we are having here! It's been raining for days and we have lots of flooding in town and across the state. We had planned to travel to see DS today but the roads are closed so we have cancelled. There are some backroads but the last thing we need to do is get stuck somewhere and not be able to get home. 

Yesterday, as well the flooding we had snow! It was quite heavy falls just outside of town. I've never seen snow in November here before. It's usually hot and sunny but it's been quite cold.

But it's been a good week for sewing and decluttering! I have been working on my overflowing 5" square scrap bins - mostly children's prints. I've just been joining squares ready to be made into eye spy quilts later. I started with making strips for the disappearing nine-patches 


... but after a lot of sewing I just wanted to get them done faster so made the rest into 4 patch blocks...

It all fits neatly back in the drawers now and when I want to make an eye spy quilt it will be much quicker to join a few of these larger blocks. 

I also had some beautiful Tilda fabrics delivered this week. I just love Tilda fabrics and so I decided to treat myself and join the Tilda club so I get a project each two months. While I may not get them done straight away it will be nice to have them in my stash for when I want a change from sewing quilt tops. 

Here's my first month of the Tilda club - its just gorgeous!


I also bought a Chic Escape fat quarter bundle and some dots & plains for a paper piecing quilt top I want to make.



  and a Hometown fat-eights bundle for a wall hanging project



I hadn't planned on doing Bonnies mystery quilt this year as were to be travelling but now that I'm not and after seeing the beautiful colours she has chosen I'm in! I am going to use batiks and have ordered them this morning. I'm quite excited to be doing it again! Are you doing Bonnies mystery this year? What are your thoughts on the colour choices?

I've also been decluttering old work 'stuff' with five large garbage bags of old files & paperwork shredded this week. After a lot of thought I've decided to let my professional registration go and I've now given up on the idea of perhaps doing some occasional work in retirement. After seven months I'm feeling so much healthier but I'm also realising that I am still quite burned out and seeing how much of a toll work took on my health. It's time to just stop and smell the roses. 

"Smell the roses. Smell the coffee. 

Whatever it is that makes you happy."

Rita Moreno


7 comments:

Janice said...

The weather has been feral, hasn’t it, and now add in the gas outage. Let’s hope warmer weather arrives soon. You are going to have so much fun with your new purchases and Bonnie’s quilt. I haven’t been game to join in yet. Maybe next year. It’s good to let go of work, isn’t it.

Jan said...

Yes I have no desire to go back to work, it takes a while to switch off. fingers crossed we get the gas back on today so I can have a shower.

Out My window said...

I just love to look at your work, and I get so envious as I would love to work on projects like that.

Caree Risover said...

I found my first winter of retirement the only time when I momentarily considered returning part-time. Believe me the feeling that I might as well be at work than being curtailed by the desolate weather didn't last long!

Jan said...

thanks Kim, sewing is my happy place & its so nice to have the time now. Hopefully you get some time for your own projects soon xx

Jan said...

I do love it on the rainy days that I don't have to drive to work and spend the day in an office. It is an adjustment though, not working after 40 years in the workforce.

Vireya said...

I like Bonnie's colours, but I have too many unfinished projects. So I will save the clues and see... (famous last words).