Pages

18 Nov 2022

Blue scrappy flimsy finished. Share the Dignity drive.

I'm determined to chip away at the scrap stash after my recent clean up in the sewing room.  I finished this quilt top this morning made of blue 5" squares. I also used up a light blue scrap to break up the rows as without that it was just too busy and a little small. I'm pleased with the way it turned out and I've added it to the 'waiting to be quilted pile. 


It will be a donation quilt when finished as there is going to be a real need for quilts following all these flooding events we've been having. I was able to buy $440 worth of quilt batting for only $80 with my $40 spotlight vouchers - I was sent four this time so I will use the others up in the next few days. I've got plenty of batting now in my stockpile!

On Wednesday night there was a request for linen & other items to be donated to flooded residents in Eugowra where houses where literally just washed away on Monday. So I cleaned out the linen cupboard of sheets, one quilt and some blankets. I also had my box of extras (pads, tampons, toiletries) for topping up Share the Dignity bags so I sent those off as well. 

Share the Dignity collections start today and run to the 27th November at every Bunnings store. You can drop off a handbag backpack filled with items (list is here) or you can donate toiletries, pads or bags as well and they will get made up for donation.  The bags are given to women & girls in need.


This year I made three Mum & Bub bags and three teen bags. I made a crotchet rug and a bunny rug for each of the Mum & Bub bags.

In the US & Canada there is are similar charities:  One Purse,  My Change Purses, Lend a Hand.

I kept on with the decluttering in the spare room ( junk room!) and this morning we made a trip to the op shop and then a trip to the dump. I have so much more space! Still lots to do but we're making progress. Today I want to get my fabrics chosen ready for the start of Bonnies Mystery Quilt tomorrow and cut down some scraps from my current scrap bin.

Blogger comments problem! Is anyone else having difficulty commenting on blogs including replying on your own blog? At the moment I can't comment on this blog and on most of the other blogs - any advice?  

6 comments:

Karen said...

Love your blue quilt. This is the first time trying to comment from my phone...let's see if it works! On ticking the Notify Me box it said it would send me an email.

Karen said...

Not sure if comment on mobile site worked, so trying from web page site. Love your blue quilt.

Practical Parsimony said...

I have a question. I want to make a quilt to keep warm. I love wool. Is there a thing such as wool batting? Are there drawbacks to using wool batting?

Janice said...

The quilt turned out so well. It will be appreciated. I find I have to go to the web version of several blogs to comment from my phone.

slugmama said...

This is very generous of you, your donations.

Out My window said...

What a lovely idea. I wonder if my YWCA would be interested in this. They have a womens shelter.