Pages

16 Nov 2022

Back from the beach. Sorting the sewing!

We've been home for a few days now after having a week at the beach and visiting DS in Wagga for a few days. This time I took some embroidery with me. I enjoyed sitting outside on the verandah in the afternoons listening to the ocean.


I haven't embroidered for years and I would like to get back to it and improve skills. This pattern was from a class with video instruction from Clever Poppy that she ran recently. 

We've had lots of rain here and flooding in town on Monday. We are fine as we live on top of a hill and it seems to be going down quickly here. Other places in the region have been badly affected and I'm so glad we cancelled our big holiday to avoid the flooding.

I've started going through all my sewing projects, WIPs, UFOs and scrap stashes and making a list of everything that needs finishing. There's a lot!  I found quilt tops, sewing projects and patterns I had forgotten about and finally found my misplaced Splendid Sampler blocks. I'm bagging everything up from each project into clear bags so I can easily see what I have and putting them on the open shelves instead of in drawers so they don't get forgotten. 

I'm feeling as though I'd like some more routines back in my week. I listened to a TED talk recently about stages of retirement and we've been enjoying the first 'holiday - freedom' stage a lot. I'm just feeling now like I'd like to have a bit more organisation in my week. I'm not tired from working anymore and I have more energy to do things. Not sure where I'm going with it but thats my thoughts lately. I also want to get back to more regular blogging. 

We have a big few weeks coming up with birthdays, my in-laws 65th wedding anniversary and our 40th anniversary. I love this time of year with the lead up to Christmas - lots to do and this year will be our first Christmas with family since Covid started so it will be great to get back to normal I hope. Covid changed so much - did it affect your end- of year get-togethers? Do you feel like life's returning back to 'normal'? I'm getting my covid booster vaccination this morning  as its on the rise again here, then time to catch up on blog reading.


5 comments:

Out My window said...

I know that I have projects galore to finish, just wish I had the time or maybe the inclination!

Frogdancer Jones said...

I just had my 5th vax yesterday. I'm going o/s in 2 weeks and I'll be on planes for over 24 hours so wanted to be as protected as possible. My sister lives near a creek and was almost flooded out on Sunday night. She said that if the water rose 1 more cm, it would have gone onto the carpet and the whole place would be ruined.

Vireya said...

Your embroidery looks lovely.
Lots of rain here, too. Every time I think about going outside it starts raining again.

Caree Risover said...

I recall in my early years of retirement, I moved from the rest and recovery period to an era of experimentation, trying all manner of activities, schedules, community efforts to try to establish what worked best. Mind over 8 years later and I’m not entirely sure I’ve yet found the complete answer as both retirement and I continue to evolve together.

Janice said...

What a lovely embroidery to relax with. I have heaps of projects as well. There is no excuse to be bored. My Splendid Sampler 2 just needs quilting…. one day. We were fortunate that the flooding here was no worse. I get what you mean about the “holiday-freedom” stage. That’s us at the moment. We will look at being a bit more structured and join in with something in the New Year.