Pages

3 Apr 2018

12 months debt reduction progress

This morning I posted my progress report to my thread at the Simple Savings forum. It's a year since I started tracking this financial goal to retire at the end of 2022, and when I added up my progress over the last year I was pleasantly surprised!

12 month debt reduction progress:
  • credit card debt reduced by $7,010
  • mortgage redraw reduced by $70,343
  • mortgage reduced by $17,661
  • Total debt reduction: $94,014

About half of that was money that my father left me unexpectedly. That means that we have been able to pay one whole wage towards debt over the last year!

My calculations tell me that we could retire reasonably comfortably on about $40-$45,000 a year, That would still allow us to travel and live life pretty much as we do now. Seeing that we have lived on about that amount of money without feeling deprived is really encouraging.

Well its back to work now after four days off over Easter.  Went for an hours walk earlier which was great and I'm feeling very motivated after seeing these numbers.  Just gotta keep plodding along towards that goal!

No comments: