Pages

31 Dec 2020

December & Annual Progress Report

Well its the last day of 2020,  a year like no other! Time for the monthly & annual progress report on Year 3 of my 5 year plan to retire.

In 2020 DH's income went up as he returned to full time work. My income went down considerably as my second job dwindled down to less than one hour per week. We both contributed the maximum to our retirement savings (super), watched it plummet early in the year and then watched it bounce back.

Mortgage

Monthly progress: 

  • current balance: $62,991
  • down from: $66,976
  • total reduction: $3,985 
Annual progress: 
  • start balance: $101,991
  • end balance: $62,991
  • total reduction: $39,000
Savings

Monthly Progress:
  • current balance: me: $194,374   DH: $368,364  total: $562,738
  • up from:             me: $189,980   DH: $361,150
  • increase:             me:    $4,394    DH:    $7,214
  • total increase:     $11,608
Annual Progress: 
  • start balance:   me: $157,700   DH: $341,226
  • end balance:    me: $194,374   DH: $368,364
  • increase:          me:   $36,674   DH:   $27,138
  • total increase: $63,812
Work

This month I've been enjoying the holidays & not thinking about work too much.

In 2020, along with the rest of the world we worked from home for almost half the year. Covid meant that most of my work has been via phone or zoom & while my workload decreased significantly, I had more crisis to deal with as students were impacted by covid job losses & isolation stresses, but overall it was a good year for me at work this year as I wasn't there much lol!

Home

Although we spent a lot of time at home this year, we did not get many of the jobs done that I had hoped for. I did keep on with decluttering though. I think we will focus on the mortgage payoff & then address the house/yard jobs.

Health

I went off track a bit this year with my health, comfort eating, gaining weight & spending a lot of time vegging out in front of the TV or online - not the greatest stress management strategies I know! Diagnosed pre-diabetic & several arthritis flare ups - health must be the priority for 2021.

Other

My sewing, quilting & reading all got pushed aside this year and I did not get near as much time at my hobbies as usual. However I started volunteering, did some sewing & crochet for charity & got involved in some local groups online which I have enjoyed. We have not met with family since March. I'm looking forward to when we can all get back together again.

I'm looking forward to 2021 and happy to say goodbye to 2020. 

3 comments:

Out My window said...

You did great on the mortgage pay off despite the crazy year. I hope to be able to follow your lead next yer on my pay off.

Jan said...

I just keep chipping away at it. Hoping for big year this year with the mortgage payoff.

slugmama said...

Nice Savings gains!