Pages

8 Mar 2020

Back to YNAB Budgeting


Well I've had a really good morning doing our new budget. I feel like I've spring-cleaned' the finances and I'm ready to knuckle down and go hard on the mortgage payoff again.

I have gone back to using YNAB for budgeting. I can see how my spending has crept up over the last six months or so and while the credit card was always paid off in full every month, it was too easy to just spend a little extra here, there and eventually everywhere.  I think using YNAB will get me back on track.

I'm also going to stop using the credit card! By using the card we would delay payment and that money would sit in our offset account longer - lowering the interest. But I've paid it down to $0 this morning and don't plan on using it unless we are travelling or its an emergency.

Speaking of travelling, we have cancelled our cruise for the end of the year. We did lose some money but as someone with several health conditions, I am not willing to risk travelling until the coronavirus is a bit more understood and under control. I think we'll just sit out overseas travel this year.

We've got the craziest stockpiling of toilet paper going on in Australia at the moment! People fighting over it, one man getting tasered and all the supermarket aisles are empty. I'm not sure why its toilet paper. I bought a 32 pkt last week for .22 cents a roll because it was on special - (which is when I always buy it). Our pantry and freezer is all full so no need to buy anything extra at the moment.

Are people panicking about Coronavirus where you live? Are they stockpiling anything?

9 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I bought two 48 roll packs because it was on sale and I was about out. Lots of stockpiling is going on in Alabama in US. We could live for a couple of months. We can have stores deliver or do a pickup. We are both older and have no place to go where we would be exposed except the grocery store.

Jan said...

being able to get groceries delivered is good, we have one supermarket that does that here - I think there business will do well out of this.

Cheapchick said...

The only stock piling I've seen is people buying toilet paper. I only bought some this week as it was on sale. Costco here sold out 2 pallets in 1 day, not sure why people are doing that, food would be a better idea. And you can't buy and antibacterial wipe, lotion or soap - those shelves are empty. I keep a good supply normally so we are fine. I think the cruise cancellation is a good idea. You might ask if your deposit can be later switched to another cruise - all they can say is no and I think should start to permit that if they want to stay in business. I worked for Thomas Cook Travel agency for 20 years and have seen many do things like that during September 11 and the months afterwards.

Lisa said...

I went out shopping yesterday, and out of curosity checked the Bleach shelves in two stores. They were empty. I may look into have groceries delivered in the future.

Out My window said...

Not stock piling here, as we always stockpile. I try to stay ahead on everything we use regularly by one or two.

Jan said...

We are usually with Princess and they are really good with changes and refunds etc but this time I booked with an agency and I won't do it again, we've got back half our deposit but I do think they could have done better.

Jan said...

home delivery is good in these situations, I think we'll be doing it throughout winter to avoid the shops.

Jan said...

I like to keep a full pantry, it s just part of good household management I think, but its amazing how many people don't these days.

Lucy said...

Haven't made any changes to what we already buy. Did try and get hand sanitizer (something we were already using) and it took me several stores to find it. Even DIY supplies were hard to find.