Pages

17 Feb 2020

Budgeting

I really need to get back to basics with our budget. We've overspent small amounts but they quickly add up to large amounts. Our grocery spending has crept up again. Theres plenty of food in pantry and freezer so for the rest of the month we need to be using up food we already have.

I'm going to go back to tracking every cent and I'm going to spend some time reviewing our expenses and see where we can cut back.

Yesterday DD made a big batch of chilli. We've been trying to cut back on our meat consumption so we added 2 tins of beans to 1kg of beef mince. This made 3 meals for dinner last night and 10 for the freezer. She also made a batch of choc chop cookies and froze them.

One change I have made this month is to just eat breakfast and dinner, that gives me 17 - 18 hours of fasting. I've done five morning walks ( 1 hours) and six afternoon walks at work (15 mins) so far this month. My weight is down to 97.3 kgs so I'm really pleased with that, I'm down 2.6kgs (6lbs) so far.

Tonight I'll do a bit of a stocktake of whats in the freezer so I can plan ahead. I don't really like menu planning but its a habit that would help I think.

Are you a menu planner? Do you find you stick to the plan?



3 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

No, I do not menu plan. I just know there is plenty of food and variety, mostly frozen or fresh.

Out My window said...

I think that fasting and exercise are a great way to lose weight.

Lisa said...

I need to get back to walking in the morning. We mostly plan to NOT eat out. The menu comes together on a daily basis. I have been filling the pantry and freezer with different options and have had success with keeping costs under control. That and using only cash to pay for groceries.