Pages

24 Jan 2019

Another Mortgage Milestone!

This morning I've finally reached another payoff milestone with the mortgage!

The balance is now $132,384 which takes us just below the end of Year 15 balance.

Next goal is to get into the $120's.

I am waiting for backpay from my second job to come through which will all go off the mortgage so I hope that arrives in my bank account soon.

In the meantime I'm back at work and doing my best to stay positive, but its not easy. This week I had a significant part of my work taken away, without notice or discussion, another bit of my job description has been carved off and given to someone else - its frustrating!  But it is making me wonder if its part of a long term plan to reduce or get rid of my position. My goal is just to do my best to stick it out and see if I get redundancy next year, but honestly, its not easy turning up in this environment. I also think they are hoping people just leave so they don't have to pay them out.

So, I'm very focused on reducing our budget right now and also on switching off from work when I get home. I'm thinking of setting myself a grocery challenge soon just to push myself a bit out of my comfort zone and I'm busy watching lots of movies on Austar before it ends as we have cancelled it.

Once I get my more detailed budget finished I might post some more specifics here on the weekend so I can track my progress better.


7 comments:

T'Pol said...

I am so sorry for your work situation. My old place has become very toxic for some of my old crew. My word of advice: Stick to it and do not leave. You may search for a better job and if you can land a good job, then you may quit but just do not leave without having a new position lined up. It is just a job to pay the mortgage, the bills and to put food on the table. Do not let them get to you. Wishing you lots of patience and serenity.

SMS said...

It’s so hard to go into work in a situation like that- I’ve been there. But however much you may want to, it’s not smart to quit. Here in the US, you cannot get the unemployment benefit unless you are let go by the employer. Or have a new job lined up, as T’Pol said. Hang in there! One day at a time!

Jan said...

Thanks T'Pol, I want to stay till end of next year at least & see if I get a payout. I'd be mad to leave before then. You're right that its just a job and at the moment I need that income and job security till the mortgage is paid out.. Overnight I've decided I'm going to build up my second income work so that I can just go back to working for myself again eventually, I really get a lot of satisfaction from that work and thats what missing in my job at the moment, so I'm feeling a bit more upbeat today.

Phil Poggeaux said...

Definitely stick it out - a pay out is worth it. I am in the same boat but at least they have told me openly that my role is no longer needed (I manage 200 staff, so go figure!). I am pragmatic and will continue to turn up and do a decent day's work till they pay me out

Jan said...

thats good that they've told you the position is going so you're not left wondering. I think a lot of people are in this situation at the moment - I just keep turning up! :)

Jan said...

thnx :) the only good thing is that lots of people I work with are in the same boat so we are all keeping each others spirits up when someone gets a bit down - having good colleagues really helps and yep one day at a time is a good approach.

BustedAndDisgusted said...

I feel for you on the job situation. It is outstanding how much you have paid on your mortgage. Keep it .up!