Pages

13 Apr 2020

A different kind of Easter & Unity Quarantine Quilt

Easter felt very different this year. I've spent almost every dinner Easter with my in-laws since I was 16 - thats 41 years. My DH has spent every one of his 61 years with his parents for Easter. Its the one time  when everyone in the family comes home.

When we were younger we would all go to Easter mass together - the late night service which is really beautiful - lighting the Easter candle outside in the darkness, all following the priest inside and then one by one lighting each others candles so that gradually the whole church filled with candlelight. I'm not a Catholic but this was my favourite church service. The church was a very old, little country town church made of stone, filled with atmosphere. I have many happy memories of Easter with my in-laws.

Even though we talked on the phone it felt quite odd not to be there. Usually they would be getting prepared to go away for the winter months but they cannot leave due to the lockdown travel bans, so they will be having their first winter at home for many years. Hopefully we can get together for Christmas.

So it was a different kind of Easter for us, but I am just grateful that so far everyone is safe and well.

On another note I am enjoying having more time to sew. I've been doing Bonnie Hunters Quarantine Mystery quilt - Unity  I've finished clue one:



 ... and I'm busy working on clue two right now...





I just love being able to have the extra time to sew, crotchet, read blogs, weed the garden and potter about. I am really looking forward to getting more sewing done - lots of UFO's for me to finish and so many quilts I want to make.

Happy Easter everyone, stay safe xx


8 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Your in-laws must be pleasant for you to have spent so many Easters there and none at your home.

Jan said...

yes, I am so lucky to have them, their home was a much happier place than mine when I met DH so I spent a lot of time there.

Kevin Drevik said...

Very nice quilt! Mrs. 39 Months has been working on sewing masks, but also working on her dulcimer music. I'm still doing my woodworking.

I noticed a lot of folks visiting for Easter, but maintaining social distance. One nice one was to see a family of five in chairs in the front yard, and on the porch (6ft+) were the grandparents, and they were all talking and visiting. Very nice!

Cheapchick said...

I was thinking the same thing about Christmas, I truly hope we can all be back to normal then and go visit with loved ones. I found it really difficult to visit across the yard yesterday with my mom 20 feet away. Not hugging her is nearly killing me. We normally hang out multiple times a week grocery shopping, thrift shopping, just out - instead now I drop this and that off and we talk more on the phone. Such a lonely bloody virus.

Out My window said...

It was a strange Easter that is for sure. I have not touched my sewing machine in 3 weeks, can you believe that?

Jan said...

that would almost feel like a holiday for you! :)

Jan said...

oh that would be so hard for both of you, seeing each other but not able to touch. yes, lonely virus is right.

Jan said...

I think one of the few upsides of this isolation time has been more time for hobbies and people trying new things, It helps with the stress as well I am finding.