Pages

12 Jan 2020

A good week all round!

Its feels like its been a big week here. Since I last posted I've been busy sewing for our local wildlife rescue group, joey pouches, batwraps and hanging joey bags. The bushfires have been so devastating and it feels good to be able to help out the rescuers who are going out in the heat & smoke to feed and rescue animals.


 In the last few days the group has exploded to the point where its become overwhelming and everything is on pause while they stocktake. I can tell you there are days when I have cried reading the posts from people all over the world wanting to help and reporting on whats happening here. It really does help people to keep hopeful to see how much the world cares about our wildlife, as well as our people.

Locally things are improving. In the last three days the birds have returned, chattering away in the early morning in our front garden. Last night the flock of white galahs that lives in the park opposite flew over screeching- it was wonderful! - they haven't been around for about 6 weeks due to the smoke. I can actually hear them outside now. We have also been able to open our windows again since Thursday - OMG - how I have missed being able to open windows! And we can see blue skies again.

Last night the temperature dropped and I finally got a decent nights sleep. We've had temps of 40C recently and between the heat and the smoke I think all of Australia is sleep deprived! With the smoke reducing, the birds returning and some sleep - it feels like a very good week!

I went back to work this week and I was asked for the second time to return to my second job - the one I really enjoy. So I am going back one afternoon a week starting in March. The money will go off the mortgage and honestly, its the best part of my working week so it will help me cope with the day job stress.

 The other  exciting news is that we have reached our five year retirement funds goal - current balance is $507,628!

5 comments:

T'Pol said...

I am so sorry for the bush fires in your country. I have watched the news with horror. I do not know what to say. I am glad that now, things are going back to normal in your area and I wish your country the best of luck in dealing with this terrible ordeal and it's aftermath.

Practical Parsimony said...

I know I have been worried, and when I see the map of AU ringed with fire, it looks scary. You have done a good thing sewing for the animals.

Kim said...

I have been thinking of your country so much. Just hate hearing the devastation. Glad to hear the tide is turning. Wishing you blue skies (or rain filled skies)

Cheapchick said...

It's so sad what is happening there with the fires and wildlife. Well done on your retirement funds goal.

Lucy said...

My heart hurts for Australia. I spent five years living "Down Under" so Aussie will forever hold a special place in my heart.