Pages

7 Dec 2019

Share the Dignity

This year I put together two teen backpacks for Share the Dignity. Its a charity that was set up to help women that are homeless or leaving domestic violence to have access to pads and tampons. They do two collection drives during the year. At Christmas they have the 'its in the bag' collection where you fill a handbag with products that are given to women & teens at Christmas. I've worked with lots of women and teenagers in these situations so I really enjoyed doing this.



We included pads, tampons, shampoo, conditioner, comb, mirror, lipgloss, shower caps, a new purse, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush, a drink bottle, bracelet & necklace, moisturiser, notebook, pens, socks, soap dish, hair towel, makeup bag and makeup. It was stuffed to the brim.




Each teen bag had a yellow ribbon attached and a card with an encouraging note inside. I dropped them off to Bunnings this morning - the last day for collection! Next year I will be more oganised and start earlier. This is one the charities I'd love to volunteer with once I'm retired.

I remember as a kid being receiving a huge washing basket filled with groceries at Christmas, left at our door by someone who knew we were really struggling.  Then as a teenager, when we were in better circumstances, Mum would shop for a family every Christmas and take me with her. She taught me that its important to pay back the kindnesses we had been shown. So every year I do something, and it always makes me feel grateful for the many little acts of kindness I have experienced and a mum who taught me to appreciate them.

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted"
Aesop.


6 comments:

slugmama said...

This is a wonderful idea.

Hawaii Planner said...

I love this idea!

Jan said...

yep, simple idea and very practical.

Jan said...

its amazing how fast the charity has grown, I think women can relate to it and they've kept their focus very targeted.

Cheapchick said...

Great idea! My stepson and his GF volunteer at a unique charity that helps battered women move. They go to the house, help pack up her stuff and take a moving van to move it. This is sometimes when the offender is present, usually after an issue involving the police. Scary at times but such a great cause. He is becoming a police officer and she involved him when they met as she has volunteered there for years.

Jan said...

That is such a wonderful way for your stepson & GF to help vulnerable women, and very needed. I've been in situations like that a few times with clients and its very scary. I am always so grateful for good police officers and volunteers at those times.