Pages

1 Feb 2018

January Progress Report

January has been a busy month as I returned to work after a years leave, so its been a bit of an adjustment getting back into the swing of things.

Heres my progress so far:


Mortgage:
  • Mortgage $164,669  down from 167,998 
  • Redraw  $5,762  down from $7, 910 
  • $5,477 total mortgage debt reduction
Retirement Savings:
  •  Mine- $92,353
  • DH - $242124
  • Total- $334,477
  • $3,594 increase in savings
Groceries
I had plans to eat out of our stockpile & freezer this month & use vouchers to reduce costs, which worked until I went back to work. So I spent much more on groceries this month than I intended and far too much at the corner shop!

 We made 21 trips to the corner shop in January ( its just one block away) spending an average of $21.45 per visit. The trouble is you go in for milk or bread or a specific item and walk out with a packet of chips, chocolate, ice creams & cold drinks - its such a waste of money and it has to stop! Our grocery spend this month was way, way too high! We usually spend about $600 a month.
  • Coles $450.69
  • Corner Shop - $450.57
  • Bakers Delight- $13.70
  • Total - $914.96
Health

I started walking of a morning and have really enjoyed it! So far this month I've walked 112 kms,  69.6 miles.

My weight is down 300grams - but I must admit I really did not make many changes so more effort is required!

Other

I cancelled a $10/month online yoga subscription and I cancelled YNAB - $50/year. I've been using it for a few years and it was really helpful at the start but I've gone back to pencil and paper which is working well.

I reactivated my  Audible subscription $22/month as listening to books is something both DH & I love and its good for switching off thinking about work.

The decluttering has continued through the month, mainly in the lounge room which is almost done. We spent almost $800 on external blinds & awnings to cut the heat which we plan to install this weekend.

The extra work I was hoping for has not eventuated so no extra income this month. I used $20 in survey vouchers & $40 of credit card points at Coles.

Overall I'm really pleased with our savings and mortgage payments and really annoyed with myself for our grocery spending so my goal is to halve the grocery spend in February and get seriously stuck into eating that stockpile!

4 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Oh my, that is a lot of money for groceries.

Jan said...

yes, its really bad! I was quite shocked by it myself.

BusyMom said...

I use mint.com to track my expenses. Don't know if it will work in Australia. Might be worth while checking.

I am right now going through all your efforts one by one. So don't be surprised if you see other comments from me today itself.

Jan said...

welcome busymom :) I'll check on Mint - something free is always good.