Pages

22 Jan 2018

Weekend Cooking

I'm trying to reduce food spending and waste so my plan is to check the fridge each weekend and cook for the week ahead. Food that needed to be used up included, carrots, celery, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, sausages & big block of cheese, baby tomatoes, sweet potatos and some bananas. I'm also trying to eat down whats in the freezer and the stockpile in the pantry:

So I made a batch of curried sausages using up a half a bag of carrots, celery, some slivered almonds & sultanas from the pantry. There was enough for 6 meals so I have some ready for this week.

 I also made a batch of savoury muffins using almond flour, bacon, cheese, baby tomatoes.



A loaf of banana bread with almond flour bananas, eggs, walnuts & cinnamon




and a batch of rock cakes for DH. I have celiacs and many allergies so my diet is a bit different to his.


For dinner tonight I found some minute steaks in the freezer and I'll use up the rest of the vegetables. I also made a batch of yoghurt which costs me a $1.30 for 1 litre of yoghurt. 

I'm not someone who love to cook or follows recipes well. I can cook, I just find it a bit of a chore after 35+ years cooking for a family to be honest. But I do get satisfaction out of stretching a dollar and eating good healthy, simple food. I tend to make up recipes as I go and measure by handful or what feels right. I'm pleased with this weekends effort. We also ate 3 frozen meals from the freezer so thats a start!


2 comments:

T'Pol said...

Hi! Found you through your comment on my blog. Will be following you. We can be retirement buddies. If I can wait 1,800 days, that will be really great.

Jan said...

yes its good to have a target - & great to have retirement buddies on the same journey :)