Pages

11 Dec 2017

Retirement Trial and planning ahead.

Simplifying my life is where I'm at right now. I've had most of this year off on paid leave and its given me time to get my health back on track and get a feel for what it would be like to be retired. I've really enjoyed it and its given me time to do a lot of reading and planning.

I used to think I'd never retire as I really love my work, but thats changed now. I have so many interesting ( to me) things I want to do that I've had no trouble filling my days. And more than anything I have noticed how good it feels just not to have to worry about work. I want that freedom and it will be a bit of an adjustment returning to work in the New Year.

I started the morning off with a lovely walk at 5.30 this morning. Hubby and I have some nice green areas to walk through and its a lovely way to start the day. I want to keep that up, its nice to have time to catch up while we walk.

Our basic, but flexible retirement plan is this:
  • pay off the home mortgage asap 
  • both salary sacrifice maximum into retirement funds
  • then make extra payments  off IP #2
On retirement in five years time renovate bathroom & kitchen, repaint house and finish gardens before selling our home. These funds will be used to clear any remaining mortgage on IP #2 with the rest put into super funds.

After the house is sold we want to do some travelling for a few months. In that time we'll repaint IP #2 and move in when we return. Our stuff will go into storage while we're away.

IP #1 - we may keep and rent out for income or sell. We'll make that decision down the track.

We have a holiday planned for 2018 but after that we'll probably do smaller holidays till we retire.

Of course all this could change if we get laid off or if illness occurs but it feels good to have made a clear plan and know what we are working towards. I'm currently working on simplifying our finances and reducing a lot of time and paperwork - thats my goal for this week! Then I'll get a new budget done for 2018.


No comments: