Pages

18 Jul 2018

Mid Week Musings...

Its been lovely and quiet at work, I've really enjoyed the chance to clean out cupboards and get (almost) fully caught up with my paperwork. One person has left our team so their work will fall on the rest of us but since they were a very unpleasant, difficult person its almost worth it to not have to put up with them!

We have slate floors in most of our house instead of carpet. In this very cold winter we are having its cold walking on the floors when you get up in the morning or be in bathroom in the mornings. So I've decided that this weekend I'm going make a few rugs for the floor. I have quite a few old towels that are getting a bit bare and holey and a huge fabric stash. I'm looking forward to having a weekend DIY project for the house!

Speaking of the house, its in real need of a lot of work. The gardens are overgrown and a lot of the shrubs need pulling out and trees need to be removed. Most of it is still the original gardens planted 30 years ago. And once the garden was stunning. But as we both got various injuries and money ran out when we both lost our jobs, spending time and money in the garden just didn't happen. The yard looks terrible and is filled with half finished projects. So I'm trying to make a realistic plan for what we can accomplish to improve it over spring/summer, starting with just pulling out all the old, dead shrubs which will take me a while.

I always find the second half of the year easier to get through than the first. Work settles down a bit from the chaos of first term, and I take my holidays which are about 9 weeks away. This year I am taking 6 weeks off so when I get back its just the run down to Christmas. I'm feeling quite positive about how we're progressing towards our goals for 2018 at the moment!

3 comments:

slugmama said...

Glad to hear your 2018 goals are progressing well. I don't make any goals but the big one(sell the house)is done so I will be happy for any other progress we make. 8-)

We've got some deferred maintenance and upkeep on both the yard and the house to deal with. Been tackling the yard and will start addressing the house when the weather turns cold.

Linda said...

Carpet are horrible. I would slip on rugs. What I found helps is really good houseshoes. The best I ever had were booties that came up around my ankles. They had a really thick sole to keep the frigid floors from making my feet cold. My houseshoes that exposed my ankles were almost worthless for keeping me warm. Oh, I did wear socks with the booties.

Jan said...

I'm not a great fan of carpets either. we wear ugh boots in winter which are really warm, but when I first get up, or get up in the night gosh that floor is cold at the moment!,