Pages

3 Apr 2020

March Progress Report - the coronavirus editiion!

March has seen the world impacted by coronavirus and here in Australia we are now in a 90 day lockdown.

It feels like so much we took for granted has changed in the last month and priorities have changed as we all refocus on surviving this virus.

Heres how the finances look today:


Mortgage:
  • current balance $98,709
  • down from $100,277
  • total reduction $1,568
I'm still paying some extra money off the mortgage, but much less than I had planned. I'm keeping more money in the offset and increasing the funds in the investment properties offsets just in case my tenants have any difficulties paying.

Retirement Savings:
  • DH $302,146
  • me $142,523
  • total: $442,669
  • total reduction -$59,020 
Our retirement savings have taken a huge hit as expected. Its still a shock seeing that number though. I'm going to adjust my savings goal back to original goal of $500,000.We are continuing with our usual pre-tax payments.

Home/Work

We're all working from home now and have adjusted to it pretty well. I'm enjoying having more time to spend with DH and we're back to walking most mornings as we can go a bit later now we don't have to rush back to get ready for work. DD and I are sharing a workspace and we can just shut the door on that room at the end of the day. When I'm in a meeting or doing phone calls I go up to my bedroom. I will confess that I actually fell asleep while working from my bedroom last week - slept for three hours half sitting up on the bed lol!

Health

We are all well here and stocked up with our medications for the coming months. I've added a half hour of exercise/zumba in the mornings, it really does help me feel less stressed. I'm also doing the 100 pushup challenge - I'm up to 21 today. My weight - well as a stress eater I'm not going to worry to much about my weight right now.

I feel like this week things have started to settle down as we have a bit more clarity about whats happening with work and with the lockdown. Now we can just focus on each day and getting through the next 3 months safely.  I'm going to use the time to do a bit more decluttering and also to get my sewing/craft room tidied up and get into some of my unfinished projects.

take care, stay safe xx

6 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

A 90 day lockdown seems reasonable rather than none or two weeks.

Jan said...

I agree, we need to lockdown as long as possible to try and lower the infection rate, 2 weeks isn't going to do much at all sadly.

Cheapchick said...

Here in Canada it isn't really a lockdown, so many non essential services still open but most people are observing it like a lockdown anyway. My home has never felt like more of a sanctuary than ever before. Smart to reserve funds in case tenants can't pay rent. Here there is a special subsidy renters who've lost their jobs can apply for which is paid to the landlord directly. Also landlords are not permitted to evict anyone who is not already in eviction process, smart in my books.

Out My window said...

90 days and here in America we are complaining about 30 days, although at the end it will be 7 weeks if they don't tack on more which I believe they will have to. We are blessed to be safe.

Jan said...

I think not being able to evict tenants is a good move, they are talking about doing it here for the next 6 months, I've heard some awful stories of landlords/real estate agents intimidating tenants which is the last thing people need with so many job losses. I feel the same about being home, I feel safely tucked away from the world here.

Jan said...

its so sad seeing the numbers in the UD at the moment, I think a long lockdown is our only chance. I agree, I am so blessed to have learned good habits from my grandma on always keeping a well stocked pantry & my grandpa who always told me to 'save for a rainy day'. I have thought of them often in the last few weeks & of how much practical, wisdom they gave me without me even realising it. yes, we can still count our blessings xx