Pages

11 Mar 2019

Changing the Date!

As you know work has been stressing me out for a long time now and its only going to continue in my current position. At the end of last week I had a very frank talk with my manager. My job is secure for the next 12 months for sure. After that its anyones guess. So, after much reflection I am changing our plans for five years to retirement.

If you look over to the sidebar you'll see a new date for retirement from my job,  at the end of next year, just before my 58th birthday. If I don't get laid off then I'll leave and my plan is do some part time work in my own business again, doing much the same as what I do now. Retirement here I come in 2020!

I'm excited but more than that I feel relieved. The decision is made now I can just get on with making new plans and preparations. I feel like a weight has been lifted!

In the meantime I've got a heap of decluttering done around the house in the last two days- I'm just about to load up the car again to take stuff to the op shop this morning.  I plan on having much, much less 'stuff' in the house by the end of this week of holidays.


6 comments:

T'Pol said...

I am sure you feel 100% better now that you can see ahead. If you don't mind my asking, what will you be working on, part-time?

Cheapchick said...

Congrats on making your semi-retirement decision. So much easier to make it through the next year that way. Plus, by telling your manager they can put forth your name if there are to be possible layoffs and you might get a payout that way

Jan said...

I will be doing some of what i do now in my second job, consulting & mentoring which pays better and I quite enjoy it. The only downside is loss of sick leave and holidays but at the end of next year I'll have access to retirement funds if I really need them so that helps give me a bit more security. I do feel a lot better now I've made a decision.

Jan said...

thanks cheapchick, it feels like a big relief and not too far away. I am really hoping I do get a payout & yes, my manager was great - I think she'll try and help where she can.

Mr. 39 Months said...

Feeling your pain. I'm also in a situation where I am hoping to make a job switch/hit FI sometime this year or early next.

Still too young to walk away entirely, but would look forward to a lower stress situation.

Jan said...

Its stressful isn't it, I think the constant not knowing takes a toll after a while.