Pages

20 Jan 2018

Gas bill down and in credit.

Our gas bill arrived yesterday and I was really pleased to see that our use is down and we are in credit on our bill. Last year I was using the credit card for all our purchases and bills to increase the amount of money left in the offset account which did help with reducing mortgage interest and did get us a lot of free groceries. But I found that I end up spending more, a bit here, a bit there - it doesn't take long till it adds up! So I am in the process of changing back to paying my bills each week in advance.

Our bill for 3 months gas ( hot water and gas oven) was $151.07. Daily cost was $1.68; daily use was 25.98 MJ, this time last year our daily use was 30.55MJ. Our account has $154.59 credit so I have reduced the weekly payment by $10.

It will be interesting to see what our electricity bill is when the next one comes. We do everything to keep it as low as possible as electricity is expensive here but with the heatwaves this summer we've had to use the air conditioning more than I would have liked. We use fans as much as possible as it is much cheaper and quite effective, but temps have been 38-40C (100 - 104F) here so air conditioning needed some days.

My first week back at work was quiet. It was nice to catch up with people but I really am just focused on life outside of work and working towards our financial goals for retirement. I made a chart with 260 squares for every week till five years passes and I'll colour one in each week. In the meantime I'm spending this weekend doing more decluttering & paper shredding and I need to do some cooking as well.

No comments: